Thursday, February 11, 2010

Why hyperlocal is nothing new

I have had an epiphany. I've finally grasped how to make money from the internet as a journalist. And do you know what? It was a business model I tried...in 1986.


I bumped into George Dearsley a couple of weeks ago.

We got talking hyperlocal and he reminded me that the concept is far from being a new one telling me about a venture he started in Stockport back in 1986.

He explains more on his blog

My own venture into one man band publishing came after I took redundancy from a national newspaper. Partly inspired, I suppose, by Eddie Shah I bought an Apple Mac and tried to understand the Pagemaker programme. But keen to get started I actually convinced a local printer pal to produce copies of my brainchild The Stockport Sport and Leisure Guide.

No comments: