Thursday, December 03, 2009

Be careful what you photograph

A rather worrying trend for photographers makes the front of the Independent this morning as the paper reports that

Police have been accused of misusing powers granted under anti-terror legislation after a series of incidents, ranging from the innocuous to the bizarre, in which photographers were questioned by officers for taking innocent pictures of tourist destinations, landmarks and even a fish and chip shop.


As a keen photographer it is rather concerning that,Police are using powers engrained within the Section 44 authorisation zone which allows them to allowed to stop and search anyone without having to give a reason.

More than 100 exist in London alone, covering areas such as the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace and other landmarks.
says the paper which gives the case of Jerome Taylor who relates that

I was on the South Bank of the Thames trying to compose a shot of the Houses of Parliament last week when two police officers stopped me.
Despite living in London for the past five years I had never photographed the Houses of Parliament before. I wish I'd never bothered. Just as I'd finished fine-tuning my first composition, two officers appeared. "Excuse me, sir," said one. "My colleague and I would like to perform a stop-and-account on you. Don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong."

No comments: