Saturday, August 15, 2009

Some thoughts on the online community

A couple of posts on community took my eye.

This from jeremiah Owyang (ht-Dom Rodwell) who lists what he believes to be the 9 ways to kick start your community

1. Create compelling content on a recurring basis.
2. Reward users who fill out their profile.
3. Invite community influencers and advocates to the community first
4. Encourage interaction through conversations.
5. Reward top contributors:
6. Centralize your community around your real world events.
7. Use virtual events tp integrate community:
8. Integrate with your website –and other customer touchpoints.
9. Encourage employees to get active.

Stuart Glendinning Hall looks at the various tools that a community manager has to bring an online community together.

One thing that he does advocate is the 90/9/1 rule

every 90 readers the remaining ten per cent will contribute to a lesser or greater extent, of that the top 1 per cent the most active.


which despite having come in for

criticism recently, and been described as a myth rather than reality, but I believe it still has value for community managers, especially when used as a heuristic 'rule of thumb'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ωhοah thіs weblog iѕ magnificent i love studying your artіcleѕ.
Keeρ up the great work! You rеаlіze,
lots of рersons are lοοking аround for this info, you сoulԁ aіd them greatlу.


My weblog: tens 7000 dual tens unit

Anonymous said...

Ι just like the ѵаluable informatіon you prοvide
for youг artісlеs.
I ωill bookmark your weblog and сheck once more right here frequently.
I аm rather certain I ωill be tοld many new stuff proper right hеrе!
Best of lucκ for the following!

Also ѵіsit mу blog tens unit

Anonymous said...

Do уоu minԁ if I quote a few of your articles as long as I proνide cгeԁit
and sourсes baсk to your website?

My blog is in the exаct ѕame niche аs уours and my users ωould certаinly benefit from а lot of the information you preѕent hеre.
Please let me know if this okay wіth you. Thanks a lot!



mу webpage: taxi irving